Skip to navigation menu

Courses

Postgraduate Open Day 2014 Wednesday, 26th November - book your place now »

Neuromusculoskeletal Physiotherapy (MSc/PgDip)

n/a (Full-time) / 2 years plus a further 2 years to submit dissertation (Part-time) / n/a (Distance / E-Learning)

Neuromusculoskeletal Physiotherapy

Course Aims

The course aims to increase students’ practical and theoretical knowledge of neuromusculoskeletal and manual physiotherapy and develop their evaluative, critical thinking and problem-solving skills, so that they can become advanced practitioners in this field and contribute to the further advancement of their profession.

Special Features

Example of equipment available for musculo-skeletal rersearch  individual practical skills teaching  Hand position for Thoracic manipulation

Course Description

The course is modular in format with contact days arranged in blocks of 2-3 days spread over the academic year. Students will follow a sequential route through modules, completing a total of 120 credits for the PgDip and 180 credits for the MSc.

Year One includes HCT024 Research Methods in Health and Social Care, HCT027 Neuromusculoskeletal Diagnosis and Treatment, and HCT229 Advanced Practice Module. Year Two consists of HCT126 Applied Anatomy and Assessing Function and HCT028 Neuromusculoskeletal Diagnosis and Treatment, Advanced Assessment and Management. The Advanced Practice module is divided into two placements each of three weeks duration undertaken following completion of modules HCT027 and HCT028; this module is an integral part of the course.

Students may leave with any number of credits according to how many modules they successfully complete; students must complete all modules to be eligible for the award of a PgDip. MACP membership is conferred at PGDip level. Students who proceed to successful completion of a research project and subsequent dissertation will be eligible for the award of a Master of Science.

The course is delivered by a combination of lectures, tutorials, student and tutor-led seminars, practical and clinically-based learning, and self study. Assessments are designed to reflect the need for students to demonstrate their ability at analysing and evaluating a situation but also to use a variety of ways to present their ideas and abilities. Assessments include written and oral presentations, small projects, practical and clinical assessments, and a research project.

Course Structure

Year 1 Modules
Code
Module title
HCT024 Research Methods in Health and Social Care - 30 credits
HCT027 Neuromusculoskeletal Diagnosis and Treatment, Theory to Practice - 30 credits
HCT229 Advanced Clinical Practice - 20 credits
Year 2 Modules
Code
Module title
HCT126 Tissues, Systems and Functional Measurement - 20 credits
HCT028 Neuromusculoskeletal Diagnosis and Treatment, Advanced Assessment and Management - 20 credits

The clinical placement module is divided into two placements each of 3 weeks duration undertaken following completion of modules HCT027 and HCT028.

Skills Acquired

The programme outcomes have been informed by the Musculoskeletal Association of Chartered Physiotherapists (MACP) and the International Federation of Orthopaedic Manipulative Therapists (IFOMT)

Upon completion of the programme a typical student will be able to:

Student Views

'My practice has completely changed since commencing the course and I now feel I am more able to develop professionally since completion with a greater chance of promotion through greater knowledge and experience.'

Shaun O'Flaherty – 2011-2013

Read Shaun's full testimonial

'The MSc was structured very well with excellent guest speakers all currently experts in their clinical field which made the teaching relevant, up to date and very evidence based. The short term blocks of teaching means that you can apply new skills in between teaching blocks. There was a great emphasis on personal and professional development through evidence based practice. Two clinical placements push you to develop through clinical reasoning and mentoring from MACP practitioners. Structured a year apart they allow reflection and development of reasoning and handling skills to take forward to placement 2. My practice has completely changed since commencing the course and I now feel I am more able to develop professionally since completion with a greater chance of promotion through greater knowledge and experience. I am now looking forward to mentoring others undergoing the same process.'

picture of Paul Adamson

"At Cardiff University, the teaching environment was a great balance of both academic and clinical staff that all worked together to deliver this course. I strongly feel that life-long learning was promoted which is an integral part of reading, understanding and ultimately delivering evidence-based practice."

Paul Adamson - 2006-2010; Clinical Specialist Physiotherapist/PhD student

Read Paul's full testimonial

"I felt that the content and structure of the course suited me enormously as I was able to study on a part-time basis. The modules provided ongoing assessment in a number of areas including written work, practical exams and clinical placements as well as the opportunity to carry out a research project. This variety of learning styles certainly helped me develop as a clinician, in particular focusing on my knowledge base, clinical reasoning and promoting reflection on my own practice. I feel this has helped enormously to further my career.

"The most appealing aspect of this programme was the MACP accreditation (Musculoskeletal Association of Chartered Physiotherapists) and the opportunity to embark on clinical placements. I found this extremely challenging but enormously beneficial allowing me to put the theoretical aspects learned over the taught component into clinical practice.

"At Cardiff University, the teaching environment was a great balance of both academic and clinical staff that all worked together to deliver this course. I strongly feel that life-long learning was promoted which is an integral part of reading, understanding and ultimately delivering evidence-based practice. As a result I felt I had the confidence and motivation to apply for research grants and funding opportunities. This has ultimately led to me being able to combine a part-time PhD, whilst still being able to work clinically."

Entry Requirements

Suitable for qualified physiotherapists who are licensed to practice in the UK and are working in the field of Neuromusculoskeletal Physiotherapy. A minimum of two years’ post-registration experience is required, which must include at least 1,000 hours in the field of neuromusculoskeletal physiotherapy.

Applicants whose first language is not English must satisfy the English Language requirements for entry to the university by attainment of a minimum score of 6.5 on the IELTS or equivalent.

Note: International students pursuing part-time programmes of study are not eligible for Tier 4 (General Student) visas and must have alternative leave to remain in the UK if they intend to study at the University in person.

Tuition Fees:

• UK & EU Part Time for 2014/15 unless otherwise specified below
    £3,120.00
    Diploma: £3,120

Next intake: September each year

School Contact

Name: Phillipa Coales  

Telephone: +44 (0)29 2068 7689 

Fax:  

Email: HCAREadmissions@cardiff.ac.uk  

School Website: http://www.cardiff.ac.uk/healthcare-sciences

School Contact

Name: Healthcare Admissions Office  

Telephone: 029 2068 7689 

Fax: 029 2068 7733 

Email: hcaredmissions@cardiff.ac.uk  

More information

Postgraduate